Friday, December 11, 2009

Matthew 3 - Baptism

11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.

Have you been baptized? If so, why did you do it? If not, why not? Once, when I was curious about the sacrament of baptism, I sought the counsel of a wise professor who taught me that baptism was four things:

"Baptism is first of all a public acknowledgement that before the all-holy God our sinnership has become a horror to us. Not an acknowledgement that we commit sins from time to time; this would be much too superficial. Not an acknowledgement that we have the spiritual equivalent of a rash: slightly unsightly, but scarcely life-threatening; an acknowledgement, rather, that we have blood-poisoning, a systemic disorder.

It also means something more. In his letter to the congregations in Rome Paul states that in baptism the old man, old woman, was buried with Christ, so that the new man, new woman, might actually walk "in newness of life" as Christ himself stands newly raised from the dead.

Baptism means something more. Everywhere in the New Testament baptism is public commissioning for Christian service.

Baptism means one last thing. It means solidarity with all Christians everywhere; it means oneness with Christians throughout the world." (to read the full sermon on baptism: http://www.victorshepherd.on.ca/Sermons/newpage42.htm#BAPTISM)

John baptized Jews in the Jordan; people who wanted to witness to the fact that they were making a change, repenting, or turning away from their sinful life and embracing a life of obedience to God. This being so, why did Jesus insist on being baptised by John? I think the text gives us some clues...

John asks the same question really and in answer Jesus replies: "It is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness". To fulfill "righteousness". Jesus believed it was necessary for him to be baptized; that to be obedient, to follow God's will, required Him to be baptized. Being obedient John consented.

After the baptism ceremony, "At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him (Jesus)." It was at His baptism that a visible manifestation of God's Spirit came upon Jesus. This not to say that He was without the Spirit before this time - Jesus was conceived by means of the Spirit. This moment made public the Spirit's power on Him.

Lastly, God's voice was heard from heaven after Jesus' baptism, confirming that Jesus' actions were good, and solidifying Jesus' identity as God's Son. "And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

As we read the chapters after this we see that Jesus' baptism was the beginning of his public ministry. In essence it was His commissioning, as it often is for those who choose to be baptized today. Although Jesus was sinless His submitting to being lowered into the river both proved His solidarity with all mankind who need to be cleansed from sin, and also foreshadowed His crucifixion where He once and for all dealt with sin and death.

Have you been baptized? What did it mean to you? For me it was a witness to my recognition of Sin in me and to the saving power of Christ that has freed me from sin! Baptism was a means of witnessing to the unifying Body of Christ. It was also a way for me to identify with Christ. Just as Jesus' baptism was a means for Him to relate to the people in his day, I was baptized, in part, to experience something of what Jesus did for me.

Have you been baptized?

There is sometimes great debate over the necessity, the method, the purpose, and the means (water/spirit)of baptism. When I was researching it for myself I found that there was scholarly support both for and against. In the end, in my heart of hearts, I just wanted to be like Jesus.

How about you?

2 comments:

Don said...

Well I must say that no one has ever casued me to think about whetehr I wanted or needed to be baptised. I just always took the stand of our church and really did not give it much thought. Thank you for sharing these insights and for expounding on the baptism of Jesus.

divad said...

I was baptized, following attending Tyndale,then OBC, and attending a church that baptized.

I don't believe that my salvation rested on the act, but I too wanted to follow Jesus' example. Why would a church try and improve on His example and teaching?

My baptism didn't provide a huge, spiritual experience for me. In fact, I was a bit disappointed. After all of the contemplation and lead up to the experience, I didn't feel any more part of a Christian body as I did when I became a Senior Soldier. However, it was special to know that I followed Christ's example. I wish I had been baptized outside, in a body of water, like our Lord.