Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Getting started

Well, here I am entering the world of blogging! I never imagined I would do this :) but here I go!

I've been following a couple of blogs over the last little while and think it's cool the way you can connect with others and get encouragement along the way for a journey or a challenge. I thought that I would tackle my ongoing desire to read the whole Bible ... inspired by Dawne's blog "365 days to a new me!" ... 365 days through the Bible. But I have failed at that a couple of times. Plus, the fact is, I don't want to rush through. So then I thought I would attempt just the New Testament ... beginning at the beginning with Matthew. I am finding though, that even just one book is going to take a while and so I am choosing not to rush but to savour the time to reflect upon God's word throughout the day, throughout the night even and to focus, for now, on Matthew.

I have a dream that perhaps, one day, this might become a devotional book. I have looked for a devotional book that would cover one biblical book and haven't found one. Has anyone? As a mom with little kids and now a mom (equally busy) with bigger kids I find time to sit and reflect is a rare commodity. Time to really study and dig deep into the Word is rarer still. And so I'd love to create something that provides this - short daily devotionals that dig deep, give food for thought, and take the reader through a Bible book so that they feel they have accomplished something ... and so that they get the benefit of the overall message of the book.

I must confess I'm a little nervous ... will I follow through? what is it like to have your words available for others to read? But as I start I am praying that God will use this 'project' to speak His message into my life, to speak it into yours, as we journey through the book of Matthew.

Here we go! :)

5 comments:

Dad24treasures said...

Wow, Alison! This is awesome:) It's something I've been contemplating doing myself -- with different goals. I look forward to following you on your journey:)

Graham Moore said...

Great idea. Count on my support.

Lori Mitchell said...

This is wonderful Alison - I have been challenged about this - I have read lots of books about the Bible, but not the Bible itself...so I am just starting this as well - Matthew is a good place to start! I will be happy to join you on this journey.

divad said...

Welcome to blog world! I look forward to encouraging you in your goals and dreams as you have blessed and encouraged me. I can't wait to find out what God has for us in the book of Matthew. I'm in!

Alison said...

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!