Friday, November 20, 2009

Just thinking

I've been thinking a bit about how to continue this - that's humorous I haven't even got to chapter one - but I want to have a bit of a plan... so here it is ... I think at the beginning of next week I will start with chapter one. The first blog will just be my thoughts as I read the chapter; the second one will incorporate facts or more 'meat' than I can muster on my own with the help of commentaries. Perhaps a third one will emerge when I've thought things through over the week and come up with ways the insights and teaching can make a difference in life today.

What keeps running through my head about the Gospel of Matthew is the placement of it in the Bible. The first book of the NT. Some commentaries call it a bridge between the end of the OT ... that 400 years of silence ... and the life of Jesus.

Other commentaries note that a key theme within the book is that of Kingship.

I think the early chapters will confirm these two ideas. It will be interesting to see what other themes emerge.

Most commentaries I've looked at mention that the author was writing to Jews on the verge of accepting Christ as thier Saviour. This might be good to keep in mind as we read through.

Until next time ... :)

No comments: