Thursday, January 7, 2010

Matthew 6 - Motive

In the daily grind of life do you think about why you do what you do? What motivates you to be kind, to work hard, to get angry? What motivates some people to hold the elevator door while others push the button to close it?! In Matthew 6 Jesus addresses the issue of motive; why we do the things we do.

Jesus speaks of worship more than the mundane acts of life (elevator door issues). He talks about giving to others, prayer and fasting. These were all acceptable and common acts of worship in His day. Jesus didn't ask the people whether or not they would do these things, but rather He questioned their motive for doing them.

Repeatedly He speaks of those who do these things in full view of others, to receive praise from men. For those who do their good deeds for all the world's praise Jesus says, "they have received their reward in full" (Matthew 6:2, 5b, 16) In contrast those who do their good deeds "in secret", so that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, about these people Jesus says, "... and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (vs. 4b, 6b, 18b)

The purpose of communing with God, or helping others, or denying ourselves food should be to connect with God; to bring Him praise.

I wonder if this is how we feel on a Sunday morning? Or when we are out helping the family down the street? Or when we are spending a day fasting?

I've been thinking about it this morning and realize that often times we start out with the right motive but then someone notices our act of devotion and they praise us. Immediately our mind shifts and may even think, "Hmmmm someone thinks I'm pretty committed to God, I must be on the right track spiritually, I may even 'have it all together'!" And in the blink of an eye our motivation has been compromised - or at least challenged.

Continually I find I have to 're-orient' myself back to fully focusing on God. Like when walking through a forest or unfamiliar terrain using a compass. A few meters in the right direction, then some brush gets in the way and we take a walk around it (or perhaps it was some beautiful wild flowers off to the side we had to take a picture of). Our destination is not forgotten but our route needs readjusting. Checking the compass we re-orient ourselves to north and get back on track.

Jesus reminds us in Matthew 6 that we are in connection with the Father - not a heartless, stone god who doesn't know how we are thinking. We are in a relationship with the Person of God who, in love, provides all that we need so that we don't need to worry; not about things or about what others are thinking.

Jesus sums up His message for this chapter in this sentence ...
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."


With His Kingdom as our focus our motive remains pure... in the sanctuary ... in our homes ... and even in the elevator.


As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after thee
You alone are my hearts desire
And I long to worship thee

Chorus
You alone are my strength my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my hearts desire
And I long to worship thee

You're my friend and You are my brother,
Even though you are a king.
I love you more thank any other,
So much more than anything.

I want You more than gold or silver,
Only You can satisfy.
You alone are the real joy Giver,
And the apple of my eye.

by Marth Nystrom

1 comment:

divad said...

Excellent insight and a good warning that what starts off as something with pure motive can become something self-serving. This gave me a lot to think about and pray through. I need to chew on it slowly, digest it and figure out the areas of my life that it applies to. You're already onto judging others? Slow Down!!! Just joking! I'll keep up, going back to older posts to work through what God has to teach me through this Matthew Project.