Saturday, January 23, 2010

Matthew 8 - Authority

10 When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
When I first read Matthew 8 I was struck by the references to faith. This chapter seems to contain numerous examples and to provide a notable contrast in faith.

Initially we read of the leper asking Jesus to heal him. How great is his faith? We might think the leper had nothing to lose and therefore his faith was little more than a cry of desperation. Nonetheless, he calls out to Jesus for help, he steps out in faith.

The next instance of faith is noticed by Jesus as exceptional. The faith of the Gentile Centurion defies explanation. Why would he ask for Jesus' help? Why would he believe in Jesus? Had he seen him heal the leper? His faith was extraordinary, in part, because he had no reason - no Jewish history - to draw him to Jesus. His faith was amazing because he realized Jesus' authority and power. He believed Jesus only needed to say a word and his servant would be healed.

In contrast, the disciples, who we'd think could trust Jesus, are unable to survive a storm on the lake without questioning His ability to keep them safe. Their faith seems sorely lacking. Of these men Jesus says, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" (v 26)

With all this about faith, I was sure that was what this chapter was about. I was all set to apply this to my life, to examine my faith status, when I looked more carefully at the chapter.

It's interesting that the centurion's servant's faith (if he had some) isn't mentioned, yet he was healed. It's notable that Peter's mother-in-law didn't have the ability to reveal her level of faith, yet she too was healed. Similarly the 'demon-possessed' in verses 16 and 28 were unable to express any faith they had - and quite possibly their state of mind was contrary to having any faith in Jesus - yet they were healed.

Jesus' healing ministry focuses less on the faith of the people and more on the authority of the healer. His actions reveal what living in the Kingdom - a Kingdom ruled by God - is like.

In the Kingdom of God all people matter - the leper, the servant, the Gentile, the woman, the possessed, the disciple. Jesus came for all the world. His love reaches out to each of us no matter who we are. But more than reaching out to us, Jesus' miracles in chapter 8 reveal His authority and power to bring about healing; to restore order out of chaos; to bring peace.

Jesus' authority is emphasized in in the little paragraph sandwiched between the various healings - in verses 18-22. These were curious verses to me. They seemed out of place. What is this about foxes having holes and the dead burying the dead? Without a detailed exegesis what it seemed to point out to me is that Jesus is not bound by anything earthly, (houses, tradition, family) and that He demands full allegiance. And He rightfully can demand this first priority because He is God. He has authority and as such He calls people out of their worldly concerns into a life of following Him.

It's interesting, isn't it, that even the demons in verse 28 recognize Jesus' authority. The demons do what He commands.

Nature recognizes His authority. The wind obeys him.

The physical body is bound by His will. Disease is removed.

Despite His authority no where in this chapter do we witness Jesus forcing Himself upon someone; healing someone who prefers to remain sick. Interesting. Somehow our willingness, His authority and our faith are tied together. This mix or relationship isn't completely clear to me.

What does seem clear from Matthew 8 is that Jesus' authority and ability are without question... and I find, as I reflect upon these, that my willingness and faith are increasing.

How about you?

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I've just finished reading Job, which really highlights the authority of God - and his complexity. You'd think that his "bigness" should cause us to trust him...but then, I don't think my children trust me because I'm bigger, or know more. Their trust is based in our relationship - they know I love them, and I've proven that I will take care of them. Maybe God's work in our lives is a cyclical thing - the more we submit to his authority, the more "miracles" he can work in us, inspiring more faith and trust - and greater submission.